Why do you need to know them?
The RCVS is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, an active public body, independent from the Government.
why is the rcvs so important?
- Being part of the Register of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is the first step you need to take in order to be able to work in the United Kingdom as a Veterinary Surgeon;
- The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons regulate the Veterinary Surgeons and hold a Register for Veterinary Nurses;
- When you register with the RCVS you become a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons – MRCVS;
- If you are not registered with the RCVS you cannot perform any medical acts as a veterinary surgeon legally;
- Being registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is mandatory for practicing in the UK.
Registering with the RCVS
registering made easy
Registering with the RCVS may be more or less simple depending on where you come from. If all goes well, you’ll just need to go through some paperwork to get it sorted.
But in some cases, you need to take an examination (not particularly easy or cheap) in order to be able to register.
Who has it easier? Mainly European citizens and citizens from English-speaking countries (USA, Canada, Australia, and Commonwealth nations).
However, rules will change for EU vets from EAEVE non-accredited universities starting in January 2021!
Learn more about this on UK VetSchool.
The most fundamental document for any Veterinary Surgeon in the UK is the Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Surgeons
This document sets all the rules for the profession, your responsibilities to animals, clients, the profession, to your fellow veterinary team, to the public and to the RCVS itself.
Because the laws, culture and welfare are likely different from those of your own country, the RCVS reckons you should try to familiarise with these. All this information can be overwhelming, which is why we offer specific help on UK VetSchool.
And if you want to dig deeper, we cover the essentials of the Code of Conduct on our training programmes.
Prepare your Registration
- On UK VetSchool, you will find resources to help you study for the RCVS exam
- On UK VetTalks, you can practise your speech, learn the technical English while also learning about the clinical side of working in the UK
So what is your next step? If you want to know, contact us.